This VEGETABLE SPIRAL TART is an explosion of colours and flavour, besides being VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, REFINED-FLOURS FREE and LIGHT.
A meal rich in vitamins, good fatty acids, fibres and carbohydrates.
Ideal for lunch, dinner or for an outdoor picnic, pleasing to the view as well as for the palate.
The VEGETABLE SPIRAL TART is the perfect recipe if you want to impress your guests with a tasty and light recipe.
You know now that I have a thing for vegetables and savoury recipes, and in particular, I love colourful and vibrant recipes.
Each colour matches a particular property and vitamin and trying to enrich our meal with a rainbow of colours should be one of our priorities. Leaving space to the imagination, you can use the vegetables in different ways, as in the case of this vegetable spiral tart. These are simply vegetables arranged circularly.
In my opinion, the result is outstanding and fulfilling.
I used vegan cheese to create a creamy and tasty base, to which I added a few spoonful of tahini for pure gluttony!
The base of this savoury vegetable tart is a gluten-free pie crust dough with corn meal, chickpea flour and brown rice flour and without starches: It’s made only using unrefined flours! An amazing a healthy savoury pie crust. I’m delighted with the result!
Having a chef at home, I can only opt for thin pie crust if I do not want to be scolded! I actually believe that, on an aesthetic level, the tarts are more elegant in this way. Obviously, everything is questionable, but I prefer to taste the flavour of the vegetables and filling rather than distinguish one of the flours!
The preparation of this vegetable spiral tart is a painstaking, I am aware of it. In particular, you will have to be careful about the thickness of the vegetables because they will have to be cut very thin. Also, pay special attention if you decide to use the mandolina, which is extremely useful but at the same time extremely sharp and therefore dangerous.
A potato peeler can replace it allowing you to get a decent job without any risk.
Other than that, the recipe is straightforward! For the base, I used vegan cheese, but you can use any tomato, bell pepper sauce or pesto you like.
As said in the recipe, you have to start arranging the vegetables from the center and then continue outwards. I know that many versions suggest the exact opposite, but I feel at ease in this way because I can be more precise.
In any case, do not be discouraged and do not worry, the important thing is the flavour!
You can have some scraps or leftovers of vegetables or you might need some strip of carrot more, for example.
I would like to tell all the exact weights, as I always do, but with the fresh vegetables and given the particularity of the recipe, it is really impossible to go into the details.
Obviously, in the kitchen you do not throw anything away. I suggest you to stir-fry leftover vegetables or “scraps”, with oil and a spring onion, or boil and add them to the food of your four-legged friends.
Don’t forget, if you choose to give your dogs vegetables, remember to avoid tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic! They are tasty and healthy for us, but not tolerated by our faithful 4-legged friends!
The VEGETABLE SPIRAL TART recipe is
refined flours-free and soy-free
light and healthy
fulfilling and satisfying
A perfect comfort food
Rich in vegetables and vitamins
Crisp on the outside and soft in the center
Perfect as a single dish, take away or appetizer
Colourful and easy to make
The perfect recipe if you want to impress your guests 😉
If you make this recipe, remember to use the hashtags #beautyfoodblog and tag @beautyfoodblog on Instagram e BeautyFoodblog on Facebook. Subscribe to the BEAUTY FOOD NEWSLETTER | ENGLISH and never miss a recipe.
VEGAN VEGETABLE SPIRAL TART _ GLUTEN-FREE
- For the savoury pie crust
- 65 g corn flour
- 65 g brown rice flour
- 25 g chickpea flour
- 22 g - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 55 g - 3 tbsp + 2 tsp cold water
- a pinch of salt
- For the vegetables and filling
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium size eggplant
- 1 orange carrot
- 1-2 purple carrots
- 1 large zucchini
- 200 g vegan cream cheese - ( or bell pepper sauce or tomato sauce )
- 2 tbsp tahini - basil pesto or pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- Sambal oelek or chili paste to taste or 1/2 inch fresh chili - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C - 250°F.
- Make the savoury pie crust
- Combine sifted flour, oil and salt in a bowl and mix or knead well.
- Add cold water a little at a time and knead until you form a smooth ball.
- Wrap it with cling film and place in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes.
- For the vegetables
- Wash all the vegetables and peel the carrots.
- Slice all vegetables very thin longitudinally with a mandolin, a sharp knife or a peeler - about 1-2 mm (see photo step by step). Avoid the middle part of courgettes because it is rich in seeds and too tender.
- Cut the aubergine slices in half longitudinally if too wide. Place the purple carrots in a separate bowl because they dye the other vegetables.
- Oil the tart pan and dust with corn flour.
- Quickly knead and spread the bristle paste between 2 sheets of parchment paper and transfer it to the pan ( with or without parchment paper - You'll have to arrange the edges and the base with your hands because gluten-free and starch-free pie crusts are not easy to handle.)
- Spread the chosen filling on the base of the cake ( keep apart ¼ if you decide to put it in between the vegetable strips) and cover with tahini, pesto, pepper sauce or another seasoning.
- Starting from the center of the crust (see photo step by step), arrange the vegetable strips creating small circles. Alternate the vegetables to create a rainbow like in photos. There are those who start from the edges, but I find it easier this way.
- When the surface the spiral is complete, brush with a spoonful of oil seasoned with a pinch of salt and sambal olelek (optional).
- Bake for about 30 minutes on the middle oven shelf, frequently checking to prevent the vegetable from burning.
- Serve warm or lukewarm and enjoy!
- Better if served immediately, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Heat in the oven before serving.
©Beauty Food Blog by Fran Bettoni owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given.