Have you ever tried making VEGAN CASHEW YOGURT at home? I finally found a quick and easy alternative to make a SOY-FREE YOGURT made with cashews or almonds. Only 3 basic ingredients and refined sugar-free. Rich in good fatty acids, vitamins and fibers, this RAW cashew yogurt will be a fresh and delicious alternative to your classic breakfast or snack!
A must try (at least once!)
I admit I spent a lot of time searching for a vegan yogurt recipe that was really easy to prepare. Most of the time, however, I had to throw everything in the garbage because the recipe just did not succeed. I tried a vegan yogurt recipe with coconut milk, but the recipes I made were unbalanced or it was just impossible to make with the suggested ingredients. So I went back to my steps and tried to make a vegan yogurt in the most common way ( I mean with cashew nuts) and it worked.
So here is my EASY VEGAN CASHEW YOGURT recipe !
You can actually use both cashew and almonds, it doesn’t make any difference. Obviously, the flavour will change.
There are several homemade yoghurt recipes on the web and I have tried some but the best one, in my opinion, is the one I learned found in one of the over 200 cookbooks I own! You name it, I’ve got it!
In fact, I still hope to find the way to make yogurt from coconut milk. This is because I would like to cut some calories because nuts are delicious, we all know that, but they’re also very high in calories and fats.
I added, as usual, the nutrition table so that you can make an idea. Dry fruits, such as cashews and almonds, are made up of about 60% fats.
Nuts are high in fat and calories, so it’s recommended to eat about a handful of nuts daily. Athletes and those who lead a particularly active life usually eat them regularly.
But let’s get back to the recipe.
First you have to use activated nuts, which means they have to be soaked in filtered water overnight or for 24 hours.
In addition, you need a powerful blender or food processor.
If you dont’ have one, you can simmer cashews for half an hour, rinse them and let them return to room temperature.
In order to prepare yogurt you will obviously need probiotics, which can be easily found in a pharmacy, natural food stores or drugstore.
Probiotics are supplements that help restore the balance of intestinal bacterial flora. I use them myself when I have upset bowels!
Probiotics are not the lactic ferments that are used to make dairy yogurt, but they are the most commonly used alternative to in making vegan yogurt at home.
We all know that fermented products and probiotics are good for health. They write it everywhere, this is simply an alternative way to introduce probiotics into our diet.
Alright, I’ve put on the dish the ugly truth, now let’s talk about some positive aspects and the properties of homemade vegan cashew yogurt!
Cashew nuts and almonds have many properties, they are
- rich in good essential fatty acids ( lower blood cholesterol levels)
- rich in oleic acid (Omega 9)
- rich in fibers
- rich in Vitamin E (antioxidant)
This homemade vegan yogurt recipe is ready in 5 minutes!
Remember to sterilize the glass jars that you will use. You can put them in a pot with a clean kitchen towel and bring to a boil or put them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds
Doing this, you will sterilize the jars and make sure probiotics can ferment without being disturbed. Once the jars are sterilized, do not touch the inside with your fingers.
Store them in a cool and dry place or turn them upside down and allow them to cool or return to room temperature before using.
Wash the blender well and use filtered water as far as possible.
To make this EASY VEGAN CASHEW YOGURT recipe, you will only need 3 ingredients:
- cashews or almonds
- filtered water
- Probiotics (you can omit if you do not want a fermented yogurt)
- lemon juice
- natural sweetener
The home made vegan yogurt recipe is
- refined sugar-free
- made with dried fruits (cashew or almonds)
- no fuss and very easy ( really easy!)
- it requires only 3 basic ingredients
- it’s a healthy alternative to soy yogurt and dairy products
If you make this recipe, remember to use the hashtags #beautyfoodblog and tag @beautyfoodblog on Instagram e BeautyFoodblog on Facebook.Subscribe to the BEAUTY FOOD NEWSLETTER | ENGLISH and never miss a recipe.
EASY VEGAN CASHEW YOGURT with probiotics Raw Soy-Free Gluten-free
- For 3 small jars of ~125g - 4 - 4oz each
- 1 cup /130g cashews or almonds - soaked for at least 8 to 24 hours - see notes for alternatives
- 1 cup /220g of filtered water or 2/3 cup - 160ml - for a dense - creamy yogurt
- 1 probiotic capsule with 20 to 24 billion live lactic ferments - optional, to make fermented yogurt
- 2 tsp / 10g lemon juice
- 1 - 2 tbsp / 20-35g rice syrup - maple syrup, agave or other natural sweeteners
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1cm - 1/2 inch vanilla pod
- 3-4 sterilized glass jars with hermetic lids
- Sterilize 3-4 glass jars and the lids and allow them to cool. ( See notes ).
- Soak cashews or almonds all night long in plenty of filtered water. The longer, the better (up to 24 hours). Alternatively, simmer the nuts for about 30 minutes, rinse and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a washed and rinsed blender, pour all the ingredients except the probiotics.
- Blend for 2 to 4 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a bowl, add the probiotic powder and whisk with a wooden for 10-15 seconds. ( They say not to use metal spoons or blades, but I blend my yogurt it in a blender and probiotics have always fermented anyway!)
- Pour yogurt into jars leaving a 1-1.5 cm - 1/2 inch distance from the board.
- Store in a cool and dry place and cover with a clean gauze or cloth.
- Let it ferment for 6-8 hours if you use probiotics, otherwise you can put the jars into the fridge. See notes for fermentation info.
- Remove the gauze, close with the lids and place in the refrigerator. Eat within 2 to 3 days.
- You need to find your ideal fermentation place, mine is the oven.
- In summer: I put the jars in the oven, closed or with the door slightly open and the light turned off. Let ferment for about 6 hours.
- In winter: if you have a mild temperature in your home, proceed as above. If the temperature in the house is much lower ( i.e. I have 19°C- 66°F) put in the oven with the light turned on for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Check often to evaluate the fermentation.