No-churn COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM: only 4 ingredients for the creamiest ice cream ever! A smooth and exotic coconut and mango ice cream with a distinct, intense and sophisticated aroma of saffron. Dairy-free, low-fat (read the nutrition facts!), Paleo, Vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
I made a gourmet ice cream, as Ema called it, but you can bet it was not my intention!
If you have read my last post (the APRICOT JAM recipe), you know that I’m totally in love with intense aromas and luxurious tastes.
In that post, I told you a bit about my trip to Dubai, the Damask Roses and how fascinated I am by using these ingredients both in aesthetics and in the kitchen.
I also mentioned that in Deira’s Spice Souk I met an Iranian boy who explained to me in detail the difference between good saffron and a mediocre one.
Apparently, I couldn’t leave without buying Persian saffron pistils. Fact, the boy knew a thing or two about marketing!
A little about Saffron
Saffron was first grown in Persia (nowadays Iran) for millennia, probably since 2000 B.C. From there, it spread throughout the world until arriving at our tables giving us one of the most popular dishes in the world, the famous Italian saffron risotto!
The recipe initially had to be a classic coconut mango ice cream, but this simplicity did not satisfy me. After using the Damascena roses for my apricot jam, I was pervaded by the memories and perfumes of that trip to the United Arab Emirates.
I had to add a spice, or I had to do something that was a little more creative! So I opened checked my pantry and I reviewed all those wonders. My eyes settled on saffron, I opened the jar to smell its aroma and … found it! That was my missing ingredient!
Well, the decision was taken: COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM was about to happen in my kitchen!
Apparently, I have not invented anything, there will surely be someone else who already combined these exotic ingredients. But for me, it was an inspiration of the moment and I’m thrilled with the result!
…and about Mango
Contrary to what is generally thought, mangos are not from South America but from Asia.
It’s actually an ice cream with a more complex taste than traditional ones and it can please those who love oriental, Asian, tropical or Mediterranean flavors.
I would not call it an ice cream suitable for children unless you have a little Gordon Ramsey in your house!
The key to good mango ice cream is the type of mango you use. Mango, in general, will provide sweetness to your dessert, but only some of these fruits will add that complexity and richness of flavor that worth a culinary nirvana!
So choose medium ripe and soft mangos, from the fair market if possible, and with an intense yellowish colour.
Saffron, with its well distinct flavor, clearly takes center stage in this recipe. Instead, the coconut milk and add a sweet balance and creaminess.
Together this unusual combination creates a deliciously sophisticated flavor!
I warn you, this ice cream is not for everyone! But I highly recommend it to those of you who do not like too sweet desserts and have more sophisticated palates and more adventurous spirits!
To make this Vegan Paleo COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM you don’t need an ice cream maker!
A blender and/or a slow juicer, one of the most useful, versatile and beloved small appliances of the moment, will do all the khard work!
The COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM is
made with just 4 ingredients
incredibly creamy, rich and refreshing
paleo, dairy-free, vegan and gluten-free
easy to make and does not need an ice cream maker!
incredibly sophisticated and exotic
made with simple natural ingredients
rich in Vitamin C and low-cal: only 113 Kcal per portion-90g (read the nutritional label!)
Surprise your friends with this COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM as a dessert after dinner and I promise you will make a great impression!
You can eat divine and sophisticated sweets even at home, you just need the right recipe 😉
COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM | Vegan Paleo GF No-churn
Yield 10 portions of 90g each
NO-CHURN vegan paleo CREAMY COCONUT MANGO SAFFRON ICE CREAM that requires only 4 ingredients, simple, naturally sweetened and sophisticated!
- 450g~16 oz ripe mango cut into cubes ( from 1 mango of about 600g~21oz )
- 400ml ~ 1 can full-fat coconut milk (stored in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours - recommended)
- 40g ~ 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave or honey if not vegan
- 2 sachets or 0.26g of dry organic saffron, or saffron in pistils
- a pinch of salt
- pistachios or coconut flakes, (optional, for serving)
- Bring 3-4 tablespoons of coconut milk to a boil, remove from heat and add the saffron powder. Stir vigorously with a whisk. If you use saffron pistils, leave it in infusion for about 30-40 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the ice molds. You'll need 3 or 4 molds (see photo). Cover with parchment paper and place in the freezer for at least 6-8 hours or until the cubes are firm.
- Take out of the freezer just before serving or preparing your ice cream. Remove the cubes from the molds ( they'll never freeze completely ) and place them in the slow juicer with the sorbet filter or in the blender and blend. You'll obtain a perfectly creamed ice cream that you can serve immediately! ( See photo).
- Alternatively, transfer the creamed ice cream to a large freezer-safe container (such as a loaf pan) and use a spoon to smooth the top. Cover securely and freeze for at least 6 hours or until firm. Set out for 5-10 minutes before serving to soften.
- Scoop with an ice cream scoop, top with chopped pistachios or coconut flakes, serve and enjoy!
If you replace full-fat coconut milk with another vegetable milk, you'll most probably get a very different consistency and a less creamy ice cream.You can omit saffron if you don' like it.
Courses Dessert, Ice cream, Sweets
Cuisine Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo